Why Go Green?
Did you know… that a typical American school kid generates 67 pounds of discarded school lunch packaging waste per school year. That’s more than 18,000 pounds yearly for the average-sized elementary school?
Did you know… Organic food doesn’t contain food additives which can cause health problems such as heart disease, osteoporosis, migraines and hyperactivity. Amongst the additives banned by the Soil Association are hydrogenated fat, aspartame (artificial sweetener) and monosodium glutamate.
So now we ask you Why not Go Green?
The Smart Start Preschool Creative Learning Center is proud to be a “green” school. It is vital to our “whole” child approach to education also involves keeping our students safe from harmful chemicals, foods and pesticides. Learning and a healthy environment go hand in hand at Smart Start.
How we make our school “Green”
- Lunches: Reusable Lunch Containers & Drink Bottles
- Composting Our Leftover Lunch Food
- Organic Garden, Fresh Food from Our Garden
- Non-Toxic Cleaning & Art Supplies
- Organic & All Natural Cooking Food
- Online Communication to Save Paper
- On Site Recycling
- Live Plants In Each Class
- School pets- Newark: Pig; Livermore: Guinea pigs, Parrot
For more information on making your school green, we would be happy to consult and certify you!